Leaders of Color For Education
A partnership between IEI and NYSCOSS
Be part of history-in-the- making—join the first New York State initiative for leaders of color in education!
The goal is to create an empowering professional development space for all education leaders of color and their allies across New York State throughout the school year. Participants will build connections and relationships with peers who turn into coaches and position NY superintendents as mentors to other educators. If NYSLOC4ED is successful, the ratio of people of color in the ranks of public educational leadership in NY will mirror the ratio of students of color in our public schools. We will ensure that talented leaders of color stay in our schools and build their careers in public education, and we will recruit the next generation of leaders to become educators and join our work.
What is NYSLOC4ED?
In the fall of 2023, a group of innovative and esteemed superintendents convened to establish the New York State Leaders of Color for Education (NYSLOC4ED) Cohort. This visionary initiative, in partnership with the esteemed New York State Council of School Superintendents (NYSCOSS) and Institute for Education Innovation (IEI), endeavors to cultivate and empower a more diverse cadre of leaders within our state's educational landscape.
The inaugural NYSLOC4ED Cohort convened for its first meeting in Rochester on January 27-29, and it will reconvene on March 2-3 in Albany, just before the NYSCOSS Albany Winter Institute.
We invite your organization to become a founding partner of this influential and growing cohort of K12 leaders in New York State. By partnering with us, you will demonstrate your commitment to diversity and inclusion and gain access to invaluable networking and collaboration opportunities.
3 in-person 2024 Weekend Workshops
- January 27-28, Rochester
- March 2-3, Albany
- May 4-5, Nyack
2 Virtual Meetings
- February 10
- April 6
- Attendance at all cohort meals, including two breakfasts and a networking lunch
- Full participation in the cohort workshops and discussions
- Billing as a co-host of the Saturday afternoon wine and cheese reception
- 15 minutes on the program to introduce your solution to the cohort and the superintendent coaches/speakers
- All of the benefits in Tier 1, plus
- (4) 25-minute 1:1 meetings with superintendents speaking at the event
- Dr. Turina Parker, WSWHE BOCES District
- Rafael Alvarez, District 15 NYC
- Dr. Susan Yom, Nyack Public Schools
- Dr. Lorna Lewis, Malverne Schools
- Gladys Cruz, Questar III BOCES
- Regina Armstrong, Hempstead Schools
- Dr. Ramon Gonzalez, Boston University
Join the IEI Family!
Who we are
IEI is committed to bringing educational leaders together to ensure that they have the influence, access, resources, and support they need to lift students’ voices. We seek to elevate the role of superintendents in the K-12 industry by fostering a supportive and influential community.