Aspiring Superintendent Institute
IEI:Lead Aspiring Superintendent Institute
IEI:Lead is a unique learning opportunity built around collaboration and active research instead of a "sit and get" lecture pedagogy. We designed these workshops where a small group of attendees will learn together in a virtual setting that is interactive. Participants will meet virtually for two hours of engagement and collaborative work for 10 weeks and attend an in-person culminating workshop to conclude the program.
Why IEI Lead:
IEI: Lead's Aspiring Superintendents Institute aims to prepare educational leaders for the role of superintendency through mentorship, collaboration, and further development of the necessary leadership skills to run a K-12 district.
Over the course of 10 weeks, participants will gather virtually once a week for 2-hour sessions led by prominent superintendents and thought leaders. Each session will dive deeper into various aspects of the job that are not always widely discussed. Topics will range from organizational/operational planning to fostering relationships with board members and stakeholders to HR and talent management systems. Participants will be invited to two in-person national IEI Summits with sitting superintendents, district leaders and edtech partner companies.
Cohort members will walk away with a network of district leaders and notable mentors, a deeper understanding of what superintendency entails, and a stronger sense of who you are as a leader in education.
- Build your network & gain ongoing support
- Gain a deeper understanding of your leadership style & strengths
- Develop the skills necessary for a superintendency
- Practice your skills with mock board interviews & brush up your resume with tips and tricks to get you noticed
- Partake in role-playing real-life scenarios and simulations
- Participants will be invited to kick off their cohort in Hilton Head, SC.
- Nov 11: Travel and reception
- Nov 12-13: In-person classes
- Nov 13-15: Opportunity to join IEI National Fall Summit
- Weekly online classes will be held Nov 29-Feb 28 (with breaks during the holidays) 6:30-8:30 pm EST every Tuesday.
- Participants will be invited to a culminating event/graduation celebration in San Antonio, TX.
- Feb 28: culminating event
- Mar 2-4: Opportunity to join IEI National Winter/Spring Summit
- Tuition: $5,000 for non-IEI members; $4,500 for IEI member districts
- *IEI covers all meals, reception, and programs. Travel and boarding costs are not included in the tuition.
Dr. Sarena Shivers
Deputy Executive Director of Professional Learning at Michigan Association of Superintendents & Administrators
Dr. Shayla Reese Griffin
Co-founder and Facilitator of Justice Leaders Collaborative
Dr. Gustavo Balderas
Superintendent of Beaverton School District OR
Dr. Kristopher Childs
Keynote speaker and author
Dr. Donnie Whitten
Vice President of Apptegy and former Superintendent
Dr. Gregory C. Hutchins Jr.
Founder and CEO of Revolutionary Ed LLC
Dr. Melvin Brown
Superintendent of Montgomery Public Schools AL
Dr. Jesus Jara
Superintendent of Clark County Schools NV
"It's an incredible opportunity to learn, grow, network & apply essential strategies that lead participants to better understand the multifaceted role of superintendents within varied settings around the country."
"The IEI Lead Cohort has been a powerful learning opportunity as a developing leader. Hearing from seasoned Superintendents about their experiences helps me know how to better support my Superintendent/Cabinet as well as refine my own approach to district leadership!"
"[IEI:Lead provides] practical learning & leadership development that can be used not only for future Superintendent roles, but for your current role [as well]."
Being able to connect with other leaders in a similar position and to learn from those with experience as a superintendent has been incredibly valuable. Being able to see and learn about different ways to handle and address issues that impact everyone in public education has been a great experience. While everyone's situation is different in many ways, we all seem to be dealing with and addressing a lot of the same problems."