Job Description: Marketing and Communications Manager
November 18, 2019
The Institute for Education Innovation is a national think tank and professional learning organization for K12 public education school superintendents and K12 industry professionals. A membership-based organization, IEI brings together the nation’s most innovative educational leaders for challenging discussion, relationship-building, and solution development that provides thought leadership to the entire K12 public school ecosystem. In addition to its two conferences each year, IEI also provides opportunities for connection virtually throughout the year and provides delegations of superintendents to consult to partner organizations throughout the K12 space.
IEI is growing and seeks to add a talented and energetic new team member to be our Marketing and Communications Manager. IEI is a startup in an aggressive growth mode. Any interested candidates must be comfortable with the pace of a startup, must have an orientation around results over punching a time card, and should be interested in growing his/her career as a member of the IEI team.
The Marketing and Communications Manager will be responsible for:
- Managing and maintaining IEI’s Membership, including the member platform, prospective member lists, and pipeline, and all periodic communications with and between IEI and its members/prospective members by email, snail-mail, and telephone.
- Managing and maintaining IEI’s sales pipeline via mass email tools, outbound marketing campaigns, lists of prospective sponsors/partners, and administration of the pipeline in the company’s CRM.
- Developing, editing, and publishing copy for IEI outbound campaigns, website, blogs, Social media, marketing materials, presentations, and brochures.
- Serve as the company’s webmaster, maintaining the content of www.instituteforedinnovation.com.
- Design all visual content, including the website, print brochures, and marketing materials.
- Develop and implement an aggressive Social Media Strategy on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
- Manage and increase the audience for IEI’s blog and podcast, "Talk Supes (and CEOs)".
- Serve as the company’s PR agent, securing speaking engagements for IEI CEO at industry events and press exposure in industry publications.
- Develop, present for final approval, and publish all IEI conference materials, including programs, name tags, agendas, and 1:1 matching schedules.
- Manage and implement IEI’s signature value-added benefit: Pre-qualified matched 1:1 meetings at IEI conferences between sponsors and IEI members, including managing the matching preference data coming in from sponsors and members, managing the software used to making these matches, and Quality Assurance in real-time to ensure the matching algorithm was implemented successfully.
- Attend and assist Director of Operations with IEI conference logistics before, during and after each IEI convening.
- Develop and send out proposals/invoices for new prospective sponsors and members.
- Provide executive assistant support to CEO and Director of Operations as needed.
The ideal candidate for this position will:
- Be an extremely good writer
- Be an expert communicator – verbal and written
- Have confidence to ask clarifying questions and for prioritization of tasks
- Be able to juggle multiple priorities
- Attend to details
- Be comfortable with Email, Slack, Social Media, and other communications platform
- Be personable and friendly on the phone, Zoom video calls, and in-person at conferences
- Bring a passion for K12 education and an zeal for building and growing an organization
- Focused on results, not on time invested
- Able to come to the IEI offices in Northport, LI, NY 3-4 days per week (will consider telecommuters who can travel to the office periodically)
- Be analytical
- Be facile with GSuite, Word, Excel, and other standard office software applications
- Be willing to work odd hours or lots of hours for short bursts when necessary with the understanding that IEI will always put family, health, and personal well-being above all else
- Have a minimum of 1-2 years experience in marketing
- Ideally have some knowledge about K12 education and K12 marketing and sales
- Be a people person
IEI offers full benefits, including dental/vision/commuter/gym/flex spending, 15 days of paid time off in addition to generous company holidays (we don’t work the last week of December and most of the first week of July). We want to help the right candidate build a career here. Compensation will be based on experience and will include a bonus based on company and personal success.
Interested candidates should:
1. Connect with IEI CEO, Doug Roberts, on LinkedIn (in lieu of sending a resume)
2. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
a. url to your LinkedIn profile (just to make sure we get it)
b. Marketing copywriting sample (can be text or a link to something you created that is published on the web)
c. A link to a Social Media feed you currently publish/manage (can be your personal)
d. Response to this question in 400 words or less (bullets are ok): “What do you want your career to look like in 10-15 years? What impact do you want your work to have?”
e. Response to this question in 400 words or less (bullets are ok): “Why would you be interested in working at a think tank for K12 public school superintendents? What experience/ideas/value can you bring to our work?”
f. Your current compensation and your expectations/goals for comp if you were to join IEI